Monday, January 3, 2011

iPod Augury for 2011

I like doing divination for the new year.  Tarot is my tool of choice, but I've also developed a way of using a shuffle or random setting on an mp3 player to imitate a 10 card Celtic Cross spread.  Especially useful if you're "on the go", or have a long car ride ahead of you...

If you wish to do this, here are some helpful things to think about...  Think, what suit does this song sound like (wands, swords, cups, pentacles)? What are the main instruments?  What is the mood?  If it's by your favorite band, perhaps this is the equivalent of a "major arcana" card for you.  What does an instrumental song indicate to you?  How about a remix?  Consider the lyrics as well as the song and even album titles.  Consider previous associations with the song.  Pay attention to the literal, it's sometimes surprising!  There's so much more you can consider, but that's definitely plenty to get started with.  (And of course, there's no reason you couldn't adapt this to another system, I'm just more familiar with tarot so it works for me.)

In order to get things rolling, I had to pick a song to start with and then hit "random" on my stereo.  This is much like deliberately choosing a querent card for myself, so it suited me just fine.  I chose a song that has been resonating strongly with me today and yesterday - "Many Lives for 49MP" by Final Fantasy (Owen Pallett).  Here are the songs that followed:

1) Return (Coming Home) Dreamside remix Part II - The Cruxshadows
2) Scatterbrain (As Dead as Leaves) - Radiohead
3) Cry Little Sister (2008 Caveclub remix) - G Tom Mac
4) Headphones (0 remix) - Bjork
5) The Tragic Events of September Part I - Evelyn Evelyn
6) Nerotia Hazaruri (Little Candles) - Sofia Run
7) Red Sun No. 5 - Owen Pallett
8) A Walk in the Woods - Audra
9) Anyone's Ghost - The National
10) Last Breath - The Cruxshadows

In the place of my self in my current situation - "Return (Coming Home) Dreamside Remix Part II", by the Cruxshadows.  A song about going home after a long battle (subtle references to Odysseus.) The idea that I am returning to what is important to me (my "dreams"), but with a new approach (remix).  That this position is a Cruxshadows song (my favorite band) indicates a sense of rightness of where I am and what I am doing, as well as the import of it.  Also, amusingly, I was physically driving home at the time of this augury.

In place of my crossing, what helps or hinders me, is "Scatterbrain (As Dead as Leaves)" by Radiohead.  I had a good laugh at this.  I am definitely a scatterbrain, and it is a major hindrance to me as I try to be more dedicated and organized to my goals.  This lyrics stands out to me - "Any fool can easy pick a hole I only wish I could fall in.../ Somewhere I'm not / Scatterbrain"

In the position of what crowns me, the surface of the situation, is "Cry Little Sister (2008 CaveClub remix)" by G Tom Mac.  In the literal sense, I have been more emotional than usual lately.  The original song is one of my favorites of all time, and to me it is very moving and passionate - I am bringing my passions to the surface and redefining them.  It also reminds me of Dionysos more than a little, especially the incredible experience I had of Him last night!

"Cry, little sister! (Thou shalt not fall)
Come, come to your brother! (Thou shalt not die)
Unchain me, sister! (Thou shalt not fear)
Love is with your brother! (Thou shalt not kill)"

In the position of what is below me, the underlying currents and subconscious, is "Headphones (0 remix)" by Bjork.  Very appropriate in this position.  This has a serious bass beat that is very primal.  "It lulled me to sleep / Nothing will be the same / I'm fast asleep / I like this resonance / It elevates me / I don't recognize myself / This is very interesting..."  I do feel like I'm tapping into my own subconscious more, learning new things about myself.  The title indicates that I'm tapped into something specific right now, I'm listening and paying attention.

In the position of the past is "The Tragic Events of September Part I" by Evelyn Evelyn.  Wow wow wow.  Although the lyrics themselves have little relevance to me, the title very much does and the personal meaning of the song as well.  There are certain "tragic" events that have definitely brought me to where I am.

In the position of the future is "Nerotia Hazarurim (Little Candles)" by Sofia Run.  This is a holiday song, Jewish I think?  It's on a gothic compilation of Christmas-y songs I have.  It is not in English.  I cannot find lyrics to this, but what I take from it intuitively is the idea that I will be taking from and learning from old paths or traditions but it will be something that is new or unfamiliar to me.  Also, I need to take with me into the next year the things I have learned this December, because it has been an incredibly important month, and these lessons will build into something greater.

In the position of my psychological state and attitudes is "Red Sun No. 5" by Owen Pallett.  This is significant because it's by the same artist as my chosen querent song.  And it's such a complex song off of a complex narrative album, I couldn't possibly go into all the implications.  In this song, Lewis realizes "I am not a father / I am not a farmer", realizes his own mortality, and knows what his destiny is - to face his god/maker.  I am realizing new facets of myself, I am becoming more than what my job, relationships or environment defines me as.  I am being called to a spiritual life.

In the position of outside influences, "A Walk in the Woods" by Audra.  I don't have the full lyrics at hand.  But intuitively, this tells me to pay attention to symbols, omens and my natural environment.  There seems to be something important to the repeated lyric "Don't leave us, don't leave us..."  Still contemplating.

In the position of my hopes and fears is "Anyone's Ghost" by The National.  This really speaks to me, and some realizations I've had in the past few days.  Generally, of the emotional paradoxes involved in moving forward while still holding things from the past as sacred.

Final Outcome: "Last Breath" by The Cruxshadows.  You can't equate every song to a tarot card, but to me, this is The Death card, at least for this reading.  The Death card is also my card for 2011, based on numerology, so that makes it even more appropriate.  There is a lot of change and transition I need to make, that I will inevitably make. 

"Her lips are cold like death
And she steals away my last breath
As I reach into her soul
And coldly let her go
I let her go..."

2 comments:

  1. I often use my iPod for divination, but this is a really cool, elaborate system. Sounds like exciting things are in store for you in the year to come. (Also, you have exceptional taste in music!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! :)

    It's funny, I know several other people who do this too, in some form. I think it's quite wonderful how people are still driven to divine answers from the universe -- and whether it's stones, cards, dice, or an electronic device that randomizes music, it's all part of the same pattern.

    ReplyDelete