Saturday, April 16, 2011

Greenery & Gifts

Since I haven't written much lately, figured I'd do some general catching up.  (Courtesy of Mercury's backwards dance!)  Hopefully I'll be back on track with some more spiritual musings and experiences soon. 
 
 

 


Here is a small treasure that my lover spotted while we were in an antique store!!  It's most definitely Dionysos, with a male youth on one side and a woman/maenad on the other.  It's handpainted porcelain, made in Greece.  I haven't decided yet what Io keep in it, perhaps loose incense.


 
Here is an ivy plant that I bought for Dionysos!  Isn't it lovely?


 
It will have to stay in its pot since all we've got is a 2nd story patio -- no yard.  Thinking about getting a trellis though.  Today we bought some potted herbs (rosemary, thyme, sage, chocolate mint, lavender).  Eventually I would like to add some more exotic ones like salvia divinorum.  Needless to say, I've definitely got a metaphorical bug for wanting to grow things lately.  I've always wanted to garden and keep plants, but for whatever reason I've always felt like I was inherently bad at it.  But my partner has been encouraging and enthusiastic (and is also much more knowledgeable about such things, which helps!) so I feel like together we'll do just fine.

And here is a cat skull that we found while night-hiking in the river wash!



It was eerie, how it was just suddenly *directly* in our path in the light of our headlamps, eye sockets looking right at us!  Neither of us has every found a skull while walking in the desert, so it seems significant.  It is now sitting in the ivy plant pot until we decide how we want to clean it.
 
It's been a strange spring so far.  One day at the Renaissance festival we were sun-exhausted and sweating from a sudden heat wave, and the very next weekend at the desert botanical gardens it was shiveringly cold and we eventually got rained out!  But the botanical gardens were lovely nonetheless, it was certainly not a wasted trip.  Here are some pictures...








Sorry the last one is blurry, but it was raining by then.  I had to include because it was one of my favorite discoveries there - it's a Boojum tree!!  I <3 any botanist who names a tree after a word in a Lewis Carroll poem.


I got a couple books from the library about desert plants and trees.  I'm interested in the medicinal qualities and identifying things, but also how I might find out the magickal properties of certain plants.  I think I can gather clues from the plant's appearance, behavior and biological qualities, but beyond that it will have to be intuitive and/or communicating with the spirit of the plant itself.  Any plant folklore that might exist would belong to the Native Americans, and that is extremely limited and hard to find given that it's not typically written down.
 
We recently re-arranged our apartment -- added some furniture, made a definite "music" space where other people might see "dining room".  (Not that we have a dining table anyhow -- piano and organ, however, different story!)  One result of all the moving around was finding new places for shrines.  So now Dionysos' shrine is lower to the ground (a plus), and the slightest bit smaller but with more useable wall space.  Aphrodite has a much bigger space, now eye level.  Can't be burning any big candles on it since it's mid-book shelf, but it looks much nicer.  I no longer have a permanent "working" altar, but to be honest that was just getting cluttered most of the time.  There is a potential shrine space on a shelf next to the front door.  I'm still ruminating what I'd like to see there.  Something eclectic, combining our other totems and deities not otherwise represented, perhaps?
 
This Mercury in retrograde has been a nuisance with little delays and things breaking down.  (Even including a major miscommunicaiton with the cats, which was a new one on me!)  But I'm trying not to let the little things get to me, and I've been pretty successful.  The word "try" is misleading, because it's more a feeling of release and acceptance.  But even a coworker commented on my attitude when I admitted I had broken 2 things that day, "Ohh...you're pretty zen about it!"  Which probably means the book I'm reading for my pagan book group, The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle, is sinking in a bit.  It's something I probably would have passed on as new age fluff had the book group not chosen it, but as a self-admitted "worrier", I've found a few valuable things in it so far.

It seems like a very long time since I've been dancing, which might be why Dionysos feels more distant.  Something to remedy, or else do some other work with him if that is not possible.  I may do a Beltane celebration.  Though I haven't settled on any details, I like the idea of blessing our new plants and such at the least.  That will be closely followed by Alice in Wonderland Day.  (Thank you to Dver for that marvelous idea, which I have been wanting to incorporate into my celebrations for a couple years now but will be doing for the first time this year!)  Since my best friend threw me an Alice-themed tea party for my birthday last year, I already have some nice props and decorations.

I think that's it... I'll end with this rather funny headline I read the other day:  Well-Endowed Apollo Statue to be Re-Erected in France.

5 comments:

  1. Ooooh! I am so envious - of both your lovely Dionysos image and the fact that you live in the desert. I spent some time in Vegas and while the Pacific Northwest is definitely the home of my heart, there is still a strong attraction to the mountains and deserts of that part of the country.

    That's so cool about the plant named after the Lewis Carrol poem. Also love the fact that you'll be celebrating Alice days too. We're about to go get the last of our supplies for that - soooo looking forward to it.

    And speaking of Dver - if you need any recommendations on how to clean and care for the skull you found (which is just awesome!) she's definitely the woman to talk to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really cool to see other people picking up the Alice Day idea. This year marks my tenth anniversary of inventing it! It is always such a welcome break from 'reality'... not that I really need one these days.

    Let me know if you get a Salvia divinorum plant and manage to make it thrive. It's a tricky plant to cultivate.

    And as Sannion said, if you have any questions about cleaning animal bones, I'd be happy to help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sannion -- I have lived in the desert my whole life, and I love it here. Living in Arizona particularly is wonderful. There is so much variety. Though I live in an urban desert valley, I only have to drive a couple hours north to be in the woods. I've even discovered fairly recently that there's quite a few vineyards around here, and even an olive grove on the other side of town. A lot of people complain about the heat, but it beats having snow in the winter, in my opinion! Sometimes I think I'd like to live somewhere where it rains more often -- but even the appreciation for rain partly comes from living where it is such an infrequent blessing. My heart-home is in Sedona -- where the desert starts to meet the forest, with its winding creek and red rocks.

    All that being said, I've found myself a bit envious of your home when you describe it. LOL. But I suppose that just speaks to the fact that the sacred is everywhere and every place has its own unique energy and history. I just want to travel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alice Days definitely resonates with me on more than one level. You could even say that the moment my partner and I fell in love was one night when we both simultaneously recited the Jabberwocky poem to each other from memory. :)

    Dver -- My partner has successfully kept a salvia divinorum plant (before I knew him) -- he says he mainly kept it indoors so it would stay moist and took it outside to sun for short periods of time. (But we are in a very warm/dry climate.) If you have any other questions I can pass them along.

    I'd love to chat with you further about bones and plants, may I email you privately? I've googled different ways to clean bones but it's very new territory.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely, you can email me at dver at winterscapes dot com. Look forward to it!

    ReplyDelete