Thursday, April 19, 2012

Current Reading List

I’ve really been digging not only my library’s interlibrary loan system (especially now that the requests are all online instead of in writing), but also their digital library system.  I love listening to audiobooks when I’m cooking or doing chores.

Recently, I was listening to the audiobook of The Botany of Desire by Michael Pollan, and was pleasantly surprised at how often he brought up Dionysos.  He makes a rather good argument for Johnny Appleseed being an American Dionysos.  Did you know that apples from trees planted by seed are pretty much inedible, but they were great for making alcoholic cider?  That was NOT in the Disney cartoon I saw when I was a kid.  There is more to it than that, including his being an outsider, a wanderer, very close to nature, and having some pretty radical spiritual views for the time, but I recommend reading the whole chapter at least - but the whole book is excellent.  He also discusses Dionysian vs Apollonian principles in his discussion of our human ideals of beauty on the chapter on the tulip, and unsurprisingly, Dionysos comes up again on the chapter about Cannabis and intoxication.

I recently tracked down a science fiction short story written in the 70’s called The Feast of St Dionysus.  In the story, a man who is having trouble dealing with traumatic memories of his mission to Mars, goes off into the desert of Earth to be alone (and one senses, possibly to end his life).  Instead of the solitude and starkness he was hoping for, he finds a cult community in the middle of the desert that worships Dionysus, somewhat as a saint and somewhat as an equivalent to Jesus.  The main character then gets convinced to join the community and participate in the mysterious festival they have planned.  It was worth tracking down, I enjoyed it.

It’s worth mentioning that I found a reference to the above short story in The Encyclopedia of Psychoactive Plants, one of the first books I got through interlibrary loan . (And really didn’t want to give back.  One day, I’ll buy a copy.)  The encylopedia mentions Dionysos in connection with the fly agaric mushroom, which seems to be speculation, although it’s something to think about. I think it’s interesting that both Dionysos and fly agaric mushrooms share an association with pine trees.

I’m also rereading The Science of the Craft, which is very thought provoking as far as seeing mystical and magickal phenomenon in a framework of quantum physics.  I’ve been pondering the concept of our consciousness as being a metapattern in the quantum sea (or Zero Point Field) and the idea of gods as also being intelligent metapatterns (though presumably greater or more complex). It gives a new perspective to the idea of invoking or evoking gods.  Is it simply a matter of aligning yourself with a particular god-pattern?

Currently on loan:  Kerenyi’s Dionysos.  (Finally!! Been meaning to read this for a long time.)  And an interesting find from a used bookstore:  Healing Dream and Ritual: Ancient Incubation and Modern Psychotherapy by C.A. Meier.  Not quite sure what to expect from it, but I’ve been feeling drawn to creating a dream incubation ritual focused on Dionysos, since that’s how he’s often communicated with me, so I’m hoping it will give me some inspiration for that.

2 comments:

  1. There is no historical connection between Dionysos and fly agaric (there is SO much speculative nonsense out there about Amanita, unfortunately), and personally I don't associate the two in my practice, but it wouldn't be totally out there to do so.

    By the way, Sannion and I are thinking about doing something for Johnny Appleseed's birthday on Sept. 26, some kind of American Dionysos thing revolving around hard cider. That book was really illuminating for me too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppose to an extent I consider all mild-altering substances to fall under Dionysos' realm, with wine being most sacred. As far as fly agaric goes, I need more personal experience to see if I find it appropriate and beneficial to working with him. I just finished a book called Mycophilia, which while I was reading it REALLY hit me that wine (or any fermented beverage) is only possibly because of yeast, which is classified as a fungus, and that really got my mind rolling.

    And now I'm reading Kerenyi's Dionysos, and he quotes Ovid as saying that Dionysos invented honey... right when I was thinking of starting to make my own mead. And I keep flipping the book open to symbols I've just seen in real life and dreams lately. (Snakes!)

    So I think I'm starting to hit this crazy peak where I'm seeing my god in everything...

    I love your idea for a Johnny Appleseed/American Dionysos festival! (And how appropriate that his birthday is in the fall!)

    ReplyDelete