Sunday, February 9, 2014

Are the loud the many? Are the negative the most powerful?

I must admit I was very disappointed to hear that the Thessaly Temenos is cancelling the Hellenic Revival Gathering.  If you were unfamiliar with the event, it was going to be a Hellenic Pagan festival in November of 2014, the first of its kind as far as I know.  It was going to be 2 days of rituals and activities and classes.  I was going to do whatever it took to get there, regardless of my shyness, my trepidation about travelling alone, lack of money, or any other number of factors.  I wanted to look in the faces of others who are devoted to these gods, hear their voices, worship alongside them.  And I wanted to attend because it would be hard for me personally, for the reasons I mentioned, and because it's hard for me to be in this world at all right now. The gods and my spiritual practices are really the only reason I'm still here at all, and I thought this event would be a touchstone of sorts for me.  And because I trust that when you put yourself out there in such a way, it will end up being rewarding.

I think the Thessaly Temenos made the mistake of assuming that the loud bullies are the majority, and that the dissenters speak for everyone. I think they underestimate how many had no idea of their group's criticisms or politics (and didn't care) but supported their core mission. I'm not sure how "bowing out" equals taking a stand or showing support, but whatever. I'm compassionate about the fact that they felt driven to such a decision, and I'm not judging them as a group at all.  It is simply unfortunate.  

Are the loud the many? Are the negative the most powerful?  I guess it just depends if you let it be so.  That's a decision you make, and it will come up again and again.  Maybe you don't always have the energy for it, that's understandable.  But I hope a brave person or group takes a chance next time.

I do not love this community, or any community.  But I do and have loved individual people, and I love the gods.  That's where the real hope is.  And that is why I am optimystic, and will always be so.

Back to your regularly scheduled devotions and shenanigans.

4 comments:

  1. You know what? The more I think about it, the more I feel like calling off the festival was entirely unnecessary. Why didn't we just tell the jerks that they were welcome not to attend, whether the events of those speakers they didn't like or the festival altogether? Why do they get to dictate what may or may not happen? They are within their rights to choose not to come but NOT to dictate what other people choose to do with THEIR festival. I don't get it at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I was also really excited about the festival, and really crushed to hear it had been cancelled. I'm all alone where I am and it's exhausting to have something be such a big part of your life and have to hide it/not talk about it with others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marybeth, I agree, I don't know why the dissenters weren't just ignored. It seems obvious to me that the event was one group's vision, and was never meant to represent the whole entire Hellenic pagan community. If some other Hellenic groups or individuals didn't like the way things were run, they didn't have to attend, or they could create their own event.

    It would have been nice to have had the chance to show the Thessaly Temenos some support. I had reserved a ticket of course, but If I'd had any clue what was going on and how bad it was, I would have let them know I still supported the event and presenters of their choosing. But the announcement really took me by surprise and then the whole blog got deleted. :/

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's probably too late for Temenos Thessaly to change their minds, but I hope that they'll try again next year. And I hope that other people will read comments like these and be inspired to give it a try themselves, at the very least to shut up the negative folks, and at the very best to honor the gods (who have gone without for too, too long).

    ReplyDelete