Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Pithos

So I finally finished my devotional pithos!  I'm super excited about it.  

This is the product of decoupage and enamel paint (both new mediums for me), lubricated by plenty of wine and music.  The process was wonderful and turned out different than I expected. I will definitely try these mediums again... I like having glue under my fingers, smoothing out slippery god images...










It has images of all of the deites of the Thiasos of the Starry Bull, although Dionysos is a bit abstract - no direct images of him unless you count the child image of him with Hermes, or the Bull itself.  This abstraction felt right to me.  (I used an image of a female initiate from the Pompeii paintings for the heroines.)  I even managed to add an image of Estruscan Apollo at the last minute. 


No comments:

Post a Comment