Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Dionysos Nyktipolos

Dionysos Nyktipolos (Night-prowler, night-wanderer, night-stalker)
 
Tarot Card drawn:  Ace of Wands - primal energy, strength, vitality, passion, beginning of a journey or creative venture, a single torch, light in the dark?
 
My notes:  Mystery, darkness, hidden things, hunter. Immediately this epithet brings to mind Dionysos' association with the panther.  The panther was one of the earliest symbols of his to come to me --- mainly in dreams.  I've had several dreams of shape-shifting into a panther, and even a dream of being a panther and falling in love with a lion.  (My now-husband is a Leo, and that was long before we ever met.)  Oddly, large cats were in my dreams last night!
 
The first half of my dreams last night were of Dionysos in some way.  He Himself didn't appear, but my mind was busy and full of him, or preparing for him, perhaps.  In the dream just before I woke, there was the sense of being in a time of a post society collapse.  My husband and I were trespassing on someone's property, taking things occasionally since no one was there to stop us, and raising large cats.  There were lions, panthers and leopards.  We had other animals as well, sheep and iguanas.  It felt as if this had just happened this way, and wasn't exactly something we intended.  The owner of the property returned and was angry about our presence.  I calmly told him we would move on soon, though privately I was concerned about how we might accomplish that with such an entourage.  In the dream, leaving them behind or giving them up was literally not something I considered in spite of the circumstances.  In the dream it was bright day-time, in a desert.
 
Other than the night and panther associations, could this also be a reference to the night-wanderers of the heavens, the stars?  Or a particular star or constellation? 

No comments:

Post a Comment